Monday, July 21, 2014

Do you ever wonder if you were truly meant to be a writer?


I found this article while surfing around the web looking for reasons why I don't think my writing is any good. I have so many doubts in my ability to do anything, that I often just give up. The older I get, the more I realize that if I am ever to finish writing my story, I will have to overcome those doubts. I also think I NEED to return to my writing in order to gain control over one of my other addictions that I have let rule me for the past couple of years. Through my writing, I was able to get one of my 'odd' behaviors under control, but when I closed that door, an old one re-opened. I've got to figure out how to close that door, even if it means returning to my old 'odd' behaviors.  

_________________________

Do you ever wonder if you were truly meant to be a writer?
Deep down you sense that it might just be so.
But then doubt creeps in, and you just aren’t sure.
You look at your writing. 
You realize that you aren’t where you want to be.
 Maybe you just aren’t good enough?
A great writer would be further along by now, right?
Wrong.
If you’re reading this, chances are you were meant to be a writer. 
You were meant to help change the world and impact people’s lives through your words.
Here are 8 signs that you were meant to be a word wizard.

1. Secret Dreams

You secretly dream about writing.
And if you already write, you dream about doing something bigger, like writing a novel, or scoring that big freelancing client.
You dream about more, bigger, better.
Deep inside you know you can do it, but that pesky little voice stops you.

2. Doubt

Yes, doubt is a sign that you were meant to be a writer.
If you didn’t have anything to say, you wouldn’t even think about writing, but you do have something to say, and you know it.
But doubt stops you.
However, doubt is just a thought popping up. It doesn’t feel great, but you can say hi, and keep taking tiny steps forward.
Why keep moving forward?
Because you were meant to be a writer.

3. Excuses

Your excuse for not hanging out with your friends is, “I have to write”.
You aren’t interested in what non-writers are interested in. They live a different life. They sometimes seem like a different species.
Embrace this.
Don’t give into peer pressure.
If you’re a new writer, you won’t be sure what to do with yourself, but trust your inner calling. Trust your heart.
It knows what you need.
If you have to write, you have to write.

4. Inspiration

Inspiration only comes to those who can use it.
If you’re a writer, you get inspired, but you also have to take advantage of that inspiration.
If you are inspired to write a novel, then start today. Don’t wait for perfection.
Let it be messy.
Let it be chaotic.
Let your thoughts go crazy and your body shiver with fear.
But start. Right now.

5. Perfectionism

When you truly care about something, you want it to be perfect.
I care about my writing. I want to help people. I want to help you when you read these very words.
And for that reason, I want it to be perfect, because in my head, I believe perfection equals value to you, but that isn’t always true.
Good enough can have a huge impact on someone’s life. Perfection is just an idea in my head. It has nothing to do with reality.
Wanting your writing to be perfect is a sign that you care, and that’s good, because it means you will put out exceptional work, even when you feel like it’s crap.
But you have to get your writing out there.

6. Admiration

You secretly admire great writers.
You want to talk about the elegant ways they craft their prose, but you often don’t have anyone to talk to, because your friends or family may not care about writing as much as you do.
This alone shows you how much attention you pay to words.
It shows you that you were meant to be a writer.
All you have to do is muster the courage to write and step up your game.
You are ready, even if you don’t feel it.
Step up to it and enjoy.

7. Lacking

When you don’t write, you feel like something is missing.
You need to write. You need to express yourself through prose.
You know you can make a difference, but you’re not sure. We all have doubts. They’re normal, but they don’t have to stop you.
Just keep moving forward. Keep putting words out there and let the universe take care of the rest.
The fruits of your labor are none of your business. All you can do is your best, so start putting your stuff out there, even if it freaks you out.

8. Yearning

Deep down, you feel this yearning to write.
It’s like someone is pulling a string that’s attached to your heart.
The string is pulling you toward greatness, but you are resisting. You’re afraid. You’re worried. You’re not sure what people will think.
Let that yearning take you to where you need to go.
Forget about what everyone else is doing and follow your calling. Embrace your uniqueness, your quirkiness and your style.
Results may not come instantly, but all is well when you follow your heart.
Listen to that yearning.
Let the string take you on the adventure of your life.

If You’ve Read This Far …

You were meant to be a writer.
I’ve been writing ever since I can remember.
I’ve scribbled down crazy stories about animals when I was 6. But lately, I’ve found myself writing articles like these.
Somehow this is what comes out of me. I just keep following my excitement. I write about what makes my heart sing.
And you should do the same, because what excites you is your internal GPS telling you that you need to pay attention to that.
I have doubts, fears and worries, like everyone else. But I know I was meant to do this, because doing anything else is torture.
So if you’ve read this far, you were meant to be a writer.
All you have to do is embrace it, because deep down you know you want to.

No comments: